Improve Accessibility on all widgets
Right now, the Judge.me widgets do not meet the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), which opens up stores to potential lawsuits, and provides a bad experience for users with disabilities. Some smaller tasks that can be addressed:
- Correctly bind the labels to the form inputs on the 'Write A Review' form. Right now they are not connected at all, and are useless.
- Add a design setting to show labels instead of relying on placeholders
- Ensure pagination is keyboard focusable by using a button element instead of an anchor tag
- Do not use divs for review star filtering
Yes! We would like to move towards ADA compliance and will be working on this in the next couple of months. If you have any specific accessibility requirements you'd like us to consider, please comment here and let us know.
Is there any update on this? I 100% agree and can also, unfortunately, confirm that not meeting these standards DOES open up a store to lawsuits.
We have made all our widgets compliant to Level A of the WCAG 2.0 standards so they accessible by keyboard or screen readers. See
https://support.judge.me/support/solutions/articles/44001812826-web-content-accessibility-are-judge-me-widgets-ada-compliant- for more details
We have designed our widgets (Review Widget, Preview Badge, Reviews Carousel, and so on) to meet Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1.
Currently, our widgets can be detected by screen readers, accessible through a keyboard, and focused appropriately after a click. We also set appropriate color contrast for all default themes.
There are some aspects, however, that we are unable to control and that you need to responsible for as merchants. For instance:
- CSS customizations you make on your own. If you change color or add additional functionality, these may breach the compliance.
- User-generated content or review content. Our app doesn't add text alternatives and captions to review photos and videos.
More details about our ADA compliance: https://support.judge.me/support/solutions/articles/44001812826
How to meet other criteria in WCAG 2.1: https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/